This Proof Silver Dollar is certified to be 99.99% pure silver with a diameter of 36.07 millimetres and a weight of 23.17 grams. Designed by Canadian artist Bonnie Ross, the reverse image portrays several significant elements from the Canadian Arctic Expedition.
In the foreground, the image draws on the abundant photography from the Expedition to present a portrait of three men standing beside a dogsled packed with gear. Harnessed to the sled, the waiting dog team watches and listens for the command to move on across the Arctic tundra. On the distant horizon, a stylized image of a compass pointed 10 degrees east of true North fills the background.
The reverse features the words ‘CANADA DOLLAR’ and the dates ‘1913-2013’ to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Arctic Expedition. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Item Number: 121842
Face Value: 1 dollar
Composition: 99.99% fine Silver
Weight (g): 23.17
Diameter (mm): 36.07
– The Royal Canadian Mint’s world-renowned annual Silver Dollar celebrates the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Arctic Expedition with a coin whose artistry draws on the rich legacy of imagery from the historic exploration of the Canadian Arctic.
– A unique product rich in tradition and artistry: it is the 54th issue in the Royal Canadian Mint’s flagship Silver Dollar program – a must-have for all collectors!
– Starting in 2012, Silver Dollar is struck in 99.99% Fine Silver – No GST/HST!
– Intricate and elegant design is finely engraved and meticulously presented in a beautiful Proof finish (frosted raised elements on mirror background); a testament to the exceptional talents of the designer and unparalleled RCM craftsmanship.
– An excellent addition to any collection focused around history, Canadiana, the North, and the celebration of Canadian identity.
– An excellent gift for lovers of history, exploration, the North, and the variety and grandeur of the Canadian landscape.
Coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell case lined with black flock and protected by a black sleeve.