This all changed 150 years ago when a transatlantic cable was laid across the ocean to connect Valentia Island, Ireland, with Heart’s Content in Newfoundland. The ambitious plan was inspired by a submerged cable that had begun transmitting telegraph messages across the English Channel in the early 1850s, and this prompted industry to set its sights on the great divide of the Atlantic Ocean.
After numerous attempts starting in 1857, success finally came on July 27, 1866, when the massive steamship, the S.S. Great Eastern, arrived in Newfoundland’s Trinity Bay where the historic cable was pulled to shore at Heart’s Content.
Suddenly, breaking news could be transmitted in a fraction of the two-week time frame it took ships to cross the sea. It was an achievement that fundamentally changed the way the people perceived the world, and ultimately paved the way toward the global communications of the 21st century.
Your premium Proof Set features include:
- GENUINE LEATHER BOOK-STYLE! Beautifully presented in a genuine leather book-style that offers an elegant way to proudly showcase your coin.
- THE CRÈME DE LA CRÈME OF COLLECTOR SETS! The 99.99% pure silver proof dollar with stunning gold plating makes this the crème de la crème of collector sets.
- AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS SET! The gold plated 99.99% pure silver proof dollar only available in this set showcases the glistening waters of Trinity Bay and a unique filigree area at top, adding a striking contrastto the engraved silver reverse. A MUST HAVE!
- GOLD PLATING! In addition to the gold-plated silver dollar, the 99.99% silver loonie and 99.99% silver toonie feature gold plating.
- INCLUDES THE RARE 50-CENT COIN! Features Canada’s Coat of Arms in 99.99% pure silver!
- A HISTORIC TURNING POINT THAT HELPED SHAPE OUR MODERN WORLD! The timeless design on your silver dollar commemorates the 150th anniversary of the transatlantic cable, which ushered in a new era and transformed Newfoundland into a global communications hub.
- HISTORY MEETS ARTISTRY THROUGH SKILLFUL RENDERING! With a strong emphasis on historical accuracy, the engraved depiction on your silver dollar of S.S. Great Eastern in Heart’s Content, Newfoundland is magnificently detailed and stands as a testament to the expert skill and craftsmanship of Royal Canadian Mint engravers.
- POWERFULLY SYMBOLIC: Linking one continent to the other, the telegraph cable route itself is represented on your silver dollar coin.
Every coin is struck in fine silver (99.99% pure)